31. Weinmann ARH, Oliveira MS, Jorge SM, Martins AR. Simultaneous high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of retinol by fluorimetry and of tocopherol by ultraviolet absorbance in the serum of newborns. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Applicat 1999; 729: 231-6. [ Links ]
44. Burstein S. PPAR-y: A nuclear receptor with affinity for cannabinoids. Life Sci 2005; 77: 1674-84. [ Links ]
The analytical HPLC system consisted of a pump (model LC6A, Shimadzu, Japan), analytical reverse phase C-18 column (150 x 4.6 mm) and fluorimetric detector (EX = 330 nm, EM = 480 nm). 31 The chromatograms were collected, stored and processed with a computerized integrator (model Shimadzu, CR4A, Japan). Retinol was used as external standard with concentrations ranging from 0.25 to 1 µg/mL. In that range of concentrations, the response of the detector proved to be linear, the height and the surface of the peaks being proportional to the concentration of compound injected. Chromatography was performed at 35 o C, and the optimal composition of the mobile phase was: methanol-H2O (95:5, v/v). Freshly prepared mobile phase was filtered (0.22 µM, Millipore, USA) and degassed under vacuum (Branson 2200, UK) for 10 min. The flow rate was 1 mL/min, and 20 µL of each sample were injected.
48. Mejia L, Hodges RE, Rucker RB. Role of vitamin A in the absorption, retention and distribution of iron in the rat. J Nutr 1979; 109: 129-37. [ Links ]
Chemical analysis of diets, feces, urine and tissues
30. Chen PS, Toribara TY, Warner H. Microdetermination of phosphorus. Anal. Chem 1956; 28: 1756-8. [ Links ]
In conclusion, the 50-day experimental period of VAD depleted the hepatic retinol stores, caused a significant decrease in plasma retinol and retinol binding protein (RBP), and affected specific markers of lipid and glucose metabolism. Acute intraperitoneal administration of cannabinoids did not induce any significant modification of retinol content in plasma and liver of VADt animals. However, it did significantly affect the plasmatic levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in both control and VADt rats.
38. Bhattacharya RK, Esh GC. Interrelationship of dietary protein and vitamin A in metabolism. III. Influence of vitamin A on the metabolism of dietary nitrogen in rats. Anal Biochem Exp Med 1961;21:215-22. [ Links ]
The present study was supported by Junta de Andalucía (AM23/04) and by the Spanish Agency for International Cooperation and Development (AECID; projects A/5127/06 and A/9589/07).
Background & aims: Cannabis administration has been described as a palliative symptom management therapy in such pathological stages. Therefore, this research aimed to study the effects of acute administration of cannabidiol (CBD) or thetrahydrocannabinol (THC) on the levels of retinol in plasma and in the liver, and biochemical parameters related to lipid and glucose metabolism (cholesterolaemia, triglyceridemia and glycemia) in a rat experimental model of vitamin A deficiency.
Conclusion: Under our experimental conditions, the reported effects of cannabinoid administration on certain signs of nutritional vitamin A deficiency appeared to be mediated through mechanisms other than changes in retinol metabolism or its mobilization after the acute administration of such compounds.
Methods: The experimental animal model of Vitamin A deficiency was developed during a 50-day experimental period in which rats consumed a vitamin A-free diet. Cannabidiol (10 mg/kg body weight) or thetrahydrocannabinol (5 mg/kg body weight) were administered intraperitoneally 2 hours prior to sacrifice of the animals.
Sträva CBD Coffee helps you start your day feeling your best. Enjoy fresh roasted small batch specialty coffee, perfectly paired with top-quality broad spectrum hemp extract rich in CBD, CBG, and more. Give it a try for yourself today!
AS FEATURED IN
Living healthy & feeling good is what Sträva is all about. Explore the natural benefits of CBD in a more convenient, satisfying and delicious way:
MAKE THE MOST OUT OF EVERY DAY
How Do You Feel?